Alabama's favorite barbecue down to 2 restaurants | News
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Alabama Tourism Department's contest for the favorite barbecue restaurant in the state is down to Jim 'N Nick's of Birmingham and Sam's BBQ of Montgomery.
The Facebook-based contest is patterned after March Madness and began with 32 restaurants. Jim 'N Nick's defeated Big Bob Gibson's of Decatur in the final four with a vote of 7,171 to 6,981. Sam's beat The Shed in Mobile 2,393 to 1,815.
The Tourism Department's Brian Jones said more than 75,000 votes have been cast in the online contest. The winner will be announced Monday. The winner will receive a trophy and be named "The Alabama BBQ Bracket Fan Favorite." The contest is part of the Tourism Department's Year of Alabama Food promotion.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hoover City Schools vote to keep buses under a fee-based system
- Jubilee Joe's owner arrested on drug trafficking, money laundering charges
- Sister of woman killed after Iron Bowl party shooting speaks out
- Woman charged with murder in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Victim identified in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting